Preserved Southern Diesel Locomotives

 

Type

Road Number

Description/Information

Location

AS416

1616

Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton AS416 built in 1955 for the original Norfolk Southern

North Carolina Transportation Museum

Spencer, North Carolina

GP30

2595

Built by EMD c. 1962, with "high nose" specific to the Southern. Sixteen cylinders, 2250-HP. Donated 1993

Southeastern Railway Museum

Duluth Georgia

GP30

2601

Built by EMD in October of 1963 and retired in December of 1991. This locomotive was rebuilt in December 1995 at the Chattanooga, Tennessee NS shop.

North Carolina Transportation Museum

Spencer, North Carolina

FT

6100

Built by EMD in 1939, this was the original FT demonstrator

National Museum of Transport in St. Louis

FP7

6133

Built by EMD in 1950, this is a passenger version of the F7

North Carolina Transportation Museum

Spencer, North Carolina

E8

6900

Built in 1951 by EMD, and originally number 2923.

North Carolina Transportation Museum

Spencer, North Carolina 

E8

6901

Built in 1951 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors. Routinely powered the Atlanta-Washington D.C. portion of the famous Crescent passenger train. Was lead engine when operation of the Crescent formally changed from the Southern Railway to Amtrak in 1979. Originally numbered 2924.

Southeastern Railway Museum

Duluth Georgia

SW-7

8202

Built c. 1950 by EMD for Georgia Southern, & Florida Railroad. Previously numbered 1100 and used for yard switching until 1981

Southeastern Railway Museum

Duluth Georgia

FT B

96060

Constructed as complement to the full diesel locomotive ("A" unit), these "B" units are essentially locomotives without cabs. Originally containing both diesel engines and steam generators (for passenger car heating), this unit has been modified to hold only steam generation equipment

Southeastern Railway Museum

Duluth Georgia